Council leader claims right wing rhetoric is “not welcome” in Newcastle

After demonstrations in Newcastle, Karen Kilgour claims right wing rhetoric is "not welcome"

The leader of Newcastle City Council has said events in the city last week showed that right wing rhetoric is “not welcome”. Cllr Karen Kilgour’s comments came after demonstrations in Newcastle last weekend.

A protest was held on the Quayside against immigration, while counter protesters gathered at Monument on Saturday. Nationally some anti-immigration protests have been linked to the far right.

At Wednesday’s meeting of full council, several members spoke out following the demonstrations. Leader Cllr Karen Kilgour said: “Newcastle is reknowned for its unity and for coming together in the face of adversity, and for people looking out for one another.

“We saw that in abundence again on Saturday. That the day’s events passed by without incidence is not by accident.

“Alongside our partners, our staff worked tirelessly to keep our community safe, to engage with young people and to reiterate the values that make Newcastle the special place it is.

“Newcastle is a city of unity and inclusivity. Hate, discrimination and abuse has no place here.

“Right wing rhetoric is not welcome in this city.

“We will never take action to stop protests taking place. It is not my place or the place of Northumbria Police to shut down lawful protests.”

Liberal Democrat leader Cllr Colin Ferguson added: “On Saturday the far right marched on the streets of Newcastle. The spectre of fear, hate and division was held back by a strong, proud Geordie counter protest.

“I think it’s absolutely appropriate that where there is legitimate protest, whether we agree with it or not, that it is permitted to take place. Ultimately, I think Newcastle did itself proud on Saturday. For anyone who continues to feel fearful because of those events, know that we all stand with you.”

There was a large police presence on the streets last week to ensure the two groups were kept apart. Following the events on Saturday, Northumbria Police has confirmed that two women and one man, all in their 20s, had been arrested on suspicion of breaching the peace. They were later released with no further action to be taken.

A spokesman for the force said: “The right to lawful protest is a key part of any democracy, which the police uphold. However, we will not accept people using them as a means to commit offences.”

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Latest News