Heartbroken family of missing Zakaria Chowdhury demand answers

Devoted mother and family support worker desperately searches for missing son

The family of missing Zakaria Chowdhury have spoken out about their two weeks of anguish since he disappeared without a trace.

Zakaria, (also known as Zak) was last seen in the early hours of Friday, 7 February, leaving his home in Newcastle’s Holystone district. He took a taxi towards the city centre, snapped a photo of the High Level Bridge over the River Tyne with his phone, posted it to friends, and has not been seen since.

Despite extensive police searches and public appeals, the 20-year-old remains missing, and his desperate family say they are running out of hope.

A Family in Agony

His mother, Shimul Hossain, a family support worker, has dedicated her career to helping others, but never imagined she would find herself in this nightmare. While she is trying to stay hopeful, she admits she cannot shake the fear that her son may never come home alive.

“More than anything, we just want him to come home,” she said. “But as we approach two full weeks since he went missing, the police seem no nearer to finding out where he went.”

Shimul describes Zak as a quiet and withdrawn young man who did not make friends easily. The youngest of three siblings, he grew up with his mother and stepfather after his parents separated when he was around six years old. His older sister and brother have been tirelessly searching for him, chasing every lead and even arriving at potential sightings before the police. The family have also been overwhelmed by the support of their community, who have rallied around them, bringing food and comfort during this distressing time.

Zak, a computer science and cybersecurity student at Sunderland University, had a wellbeing mentor and had recently been struggling with his mental health. His mother recalls that from 3 February, he appeared increasingly withdrawn, spending most of his time in his room with the curtains drawn.

“He had seemed down in the days before his disappearance but wouldn’t say anything to anyone,” she said. “Zak is a devout Muslim, he never missed Friday prayers. Taking one’s own life is considered a sin in Islam. I don’t believe he would do that, but at the same time, he was struggling. Maybe he wasn’t thinking clearly.”

Unanswered Questions and Frustration with Police Response

Police confirmed that CCTV captured Zak walking onto the High Level Bridge, but beyond that, his movements remain a mystery. The bridge, a well-known suicide spot, has left the family fearing the worst, but they remain frustrated that the search has not been expanded further.

“There is CCTV footage showing him going onto the High Level Bridge, but that’s all. It’s hard to believe that in such a built-up area, not a single camera can show what happened next,” said Shimul. “If he has jumped, why have the police not found him? Have they searched the entire river or just one side?”

Adding to their distress, Zak’s phone was found abandoned in a coffee shop, its battery drained. A staff member charged it, which is how the family discovered it had been left behind. Shimul is convinced the phone holds crucial answers but is exasperated by the police’s delay in accessing its data.

“They have his phone, but have told us it could take up to a month before they can unlock it. How can that be?” she asked. “We feel like time is being wasted.”

She also believes that limited police resources are slowing the investigation.

“My son left the house with no money, no extra clothing. He got in a taxi, saying he was going to the gym, but instead, he went to the Centre for Life. Why?” Shimul questioned. “There have been so many leads—why haven’t the police found Zak?”

A Plea for Mental Health Awareness

As the search for Zak continues, Shimul is calling for more support for young men struggling with their mental health.

“There needs to be more work around supporting young men with mental wellbeing,” she said. “It is not shameful to feel like this. Men need to be able to speak about their feelings.”

If Zak is still alive, her message to him is simple:

“If you need space, that’s fine. You don’t have to come home. You are loved and we just want you to let us know you’re safe.”

Ongoing Investigation

Northumbria Police have reiterated that finding Zak remains a priority. Detective Chief Inspector Kevin Ashurst said: “We are keeping an open mind as we continue to thoroughly investigate any new sightings or information. We remain in regular close contact with Zak’s family and will continue to support them in any way we can during this difficult time.”

Police are urging anyone with information, CCTV, or dashcam footage that could help trace Zak’s whereabouts to come forward.

Zak is described as an Asian male, around 6ft tall, with a slim build and dark hair. He was wearing a dark blue Hugo Boss hooded top with gold stripes on the arm and hood, black joggers, and black trainers with red stripes. He has links to Whitley Bay and Sunderland.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Northumbria Police by:

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Latest News