A major inquiry into the political leadership at the top of controversy-laden Newcastle City Council is finally set to get under way. Members agreed to launch an inquiry last December following concerns around the behind-the-scenes culture at the council in recent years.
The Labour administration backed a Lib-Dem motion last year to instigate the inquiry. It followed the resignation of former council leader Nick Kemp the previous September when it was revealed he was the subject of a bullying complaint from a senior council director.
Cllr Kemp has subsequently been cleared of any breach of the council’s code of conduct following an investigation. However, the start of the inquiry was delayed while the lengthy – and costly – investigation was carried out.
At Wednesday’s meeting of the city council, leader Karen Kilgour was questioned by Lib Dem opposition leader Colin Ferguson on whether the inquiry would now finally be able to begin.
His written question read: “Does the leader believe that there is now no reason to delay any further the start of the independent inquiry into the political governance culture of this council, agreed at the meeting of 4 December 2024?”
Cllr Kilgour replied: “As Cllr Ferguson is aware, it was agreed that the review would be initiated following the conclusion of another matter. I do not agree that this has been delayed.
“Indeed, hearing how long the other matter took to conclude earlier in the summer, I asked council officers to instigate discussions with the Local Government Association to allow the inquiry to begin. This work can now begin in earnest.
“I do hope members will engage productively.”
Cllr Ferguson said it was “regrettable” members had been forced to wait until the completion of the Kemp investigation had been completed, pointing out that there was “cross party agreement” to hold the inquiry.
He added: “Would you agree with me that having had a delay to the start of this process, we must make sure there is no delay to the conclusion. We must set very clear expectations for when we will hear the recommendations from it.”
Cllr Kilgour agreed, adding: “It’s a very valid point. this has been a learning curve for us all.
“I absolutely agree that this needs to be concluded in a sensible and swift manner, allowing enough time for it to be carried out properly. I am happy to work with other group leaders to discuss timescales.”
The council has previously said that leaders of all political groups at the Civic Centre agreed that it was necessary for the investigation to be completed before the inquiry could begin. This was to ensure the investigation was kept separate and uninfluenced by the wider inquiry.



