Council backs Newcastle centre for writing with £1m boost to buy listed building

A £1 million funding boost for efforts to create a UK-first centre for writing in Newcastle has been signed off.

Newcastle City Council agreed to the latest injection of public cash into the flagship project on Monday night, in order to enable the purchase of a listed city centre building that will house it.

It is hoped that the centre, which will be led by charity New Writing North and Northumbria University, will provide better opportunities for talented writers across the North of England and turn Tyneside into a “superpower” in the publishing industry.

Originally earmarked for Bolbec Hall, the latest plan is to establish the centre in the Old Post Office building on St Nicholas Street.

New Writing North CEO Claire Malcolm said: “The centre will mean we can expand the work New Writing North already does with aspiring writers and creatives across the North of England and with communities and young people across the North East.

“The UK is a global leader in publishing, but the industry is dominated by publishers in London and the South East. We want to redress the imbalance by helping extraordinary writing talent in the North of England get published and changing whose stories get told.

“It will also bring back to public life a beautiful Grade II listed building for use by the residents of the city. We will be running creative writing workshops, hosting author events, showcasing young creative talent from the region, as well as becoming home to an independent bookshop, café and new events space for the city.”

A year ago, £5 million was pledged by the Government for the centre, which councillors were told on Monday evening is scheduled to open in 2028.

That money remains subject to final approval early this year following the switch in the project’s proposed location, though a council report said that the funders were “happy to consider” varying their original agreement.

The council’s cabinet agreed a £1 million grant on Monday to ensure that the Old Post Office can be purchased before the end of the current financial year.

Council leader Karen Kilgour said it would serve to further bolster Newcastle’s reputation on the world stage.

She added: “I am delighted that cabinet has agreed to contribute financially to such a great project that will help make Newcastle become a superpower city for writing and publishing, boosting our cultural credentials. The Centre for Writing and Publishing is a brilliant project backed by government and a range of partners in our city.

“It will offer residents opportunities to get involved in writing, nurture new talent as well as act as a centre for creatives and freelancers with publishers and professionals. It will create much needed jobs and stimulate our economy, and I can’t wait for it to open 2028.”

The North East Combined Authority committed £2 million towards the development last year, while the university is also expected to provide £2.5 million.

According to the council report, the centre would include a cafe, bar, and bookshop on its ground floor.

It would also feature a 200-plus seater performance and exhibition space able to host events ranging from book festivals to weddings, as well as teaching areas and meeting rooms.

Colin Ferguson, leader of Newcastle’s Lib Dem opposition, told Monday’s meeting that any initiative to encourage reading and writing was to be welcomed.

But he added that he hoped the business case for the centre was “robust” and that it would not need continuing public funding to survive, given the difficulties experienced by ventures such as the Common Room at nearby Neville Hall.

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Latest News