- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
23.2 C
Saturday, July 20, 2024

More electric vehicle charge points for residential areas across Bradford

The electric vehicle charging network in Bradford is expanding to more residential areas thanks to £300,000 funding from the Government.

The district’s electric vehicle charging network is expanding to more residential areas, thanks to a successful bid for Government funding.

Bradford Council has received over £300,000 from the On-Street Residential Charge Point Scheme, part of the Government’s Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV), supported by the Energy Saving Trust.

38 new fast-charging points will be installed across 14 locations. Image: Tommy Krombacher.

This will enable 38 new fast-charging points to be installed across 14 locations, allowing 75 electric vehicles to plug in.

The grant will cover 75% of the funding, with the council investing the other 25 per cent from Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) funding.

Most of these new charge points will be in residential areas where there is no off-street parking, such as areas with terraced houses, cottages and flats, where there are no driveways to install private charge points.

The locations are on council-owned land used for parking – either car parks or laybys – which are accessible 24 hours per day.

The council is working with EB Charging Ltd to deliver this scheme and other additional charge points for the district.

Cllr Sarah Ferriby, Portfolio Holder for Healthy People and Places.

Cllr Sarah Ferriby, Portfolio Holder for Healthy People and Places, said: “This is a very welcome investment in our district’s electric vehicle charging infrastructure.

“It will give more people access to charge points within walking distance of their homes – something which until now has been a challenge, with over half of housing in the district being flats and terraced properties.

“Hopefully, this will encourage more people to consider switching to electric vehicles.

“West Yorkshire is already leading the way, with the UK’s biggest rapid charging network outside of London.”

EB Charging CEO Alex Calnan said: “We have been thoroughly impressed with this ambitious infrastructure programme. Providing additional on-street charging options will encourage more drivers to make the switch to electric, and make a real contribution to a low carbon future and clean, healthy air for all.”

Bradford Council has already made a significant investment in EV charge points. As a result of West Yorkshire Combined Authority securing funding from OZEV in 2018 and working with EQUANS, 22 charge points were installed across the district. The council has also installed four other charge points.

For further information on electric vehicles and charge points see the electric vehicle charging web page.

The first phase of new EV charge points will be installed at the following sites:

  • Bolton Road Car Park, Addingham LS29 0NR
  • Bute Street parking bays, Bolton Woods BD2 1DH
  • Library Car Park, Cowgill Street, Manningham BD8 7NS
  • Eccleshill  Rec Car Park, Mount Avenue, Eccleshill BD2 2HY
  • Gas Street Car Park, Haworth BD22 8NQ
  • Jenny Lane Car Park, Jenny Lane, Baildon BD17 6RS
  • Killinghall Car Park, Killinghall Road, Bradford BD2 4SJ
  • Mill Lane layby, Mill Lane, Steeton BD20 6NS
  • Northcliffe Park layby, Cliffe Gardens, Shipley BD18 3DB
  • St Paul’s Car Park, St Pauls Road, Shipley BD18 3ER
  • Victoria Street Car Park, Victoria Street, Bingley BD16 2NH
  • Wesley Place Car Park, Wesley Place, Silsden BD20 0PH
  • Wilsden Royd House Car Park, Main Street, Wilsden BD15 0AS
  • Cottingley Car Park, Herbert Street, Cottingley BD16 1SF
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest News