- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
12.8 C
Bradford
Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Man convicted of murder of Johanita Dogbey in Brixton

A man who carried out a series of random, violent attacks which culminated in the murder of 31-year-old Johanita Dogbey in Brixton has been convicted following the conclusion of a trial.

Mohammed Nur, 34, of Bond Way, SW8 admitted to Johanita’s murder, possession of an offensive weapon and possession of a pointed / bladed article at a hearing at the Old Bailey on 17 November 2023.

On Monday, 13 May he was found guilty of three counts of unlawful wounding following a trial at the same court – these offences related to three assaults carried out in the space of five minutes in the Brixton area on 29 April 2023, two days before he attacked Johanita.

Detective Chief Inspector Matthew Webb, the senior investigating officer who led the investigation into Nur, said: “Mohammed Nur is guilty of four violent offences, carried out at random in terrifying circumstances. I realise nothing can alleviate the pain and suffering that Johanita’s family continue to endure, but I hope they – and the three other people Nur attacked and injured – can take some comfort from the fact he has been convicted and will spend a lengthy period of time in prison.

“On 29 April 2023, armed with a makeshift weapon, Nur slashed the faces of two women and a man in separate incidents within five minutes in Brixton.

“Two days later, on 1 May, he used a similar home-made weapon to attack and kill Johanita Dogbey in the most shocking circumstances as she walked in Brixton.

“The random nature of this attack, along with the brutality displayed by Nur, was utterly deplorable and left a community understandably in fear.

“Following Johanita’s murder, and the three other attacks he carried out, extra officers were deployed to the local area to provide reassurance to the community and support our investigation.

“It was as a result of a stop and search carried out by one of these units in the early hours of 2 May in the same area of Brixton that the 29 April attacks were carried out, that Nur was arrested. He was found carrying a crude makeshift weapon, similar to the type used in the previous attacks.

“Given his previous actions, it can only be assumed he intended on carrying out further attacks but thanks to the intervention by these officers, he was stopped in his tracks.”

Detective Chief Superintendent Seb Adjei-Addoh, local policing commander for Lambeth, said: “Mohammed Nur’s heinous actions which culminated in Johanita Dogbey’s murder left the local community across Lambeth understandably shocked and in fear. Although Nur was arrested just hours after the fatal attack, the impact of his random violence continues to resonate to this day.

“While Nur has been convicted for his crimes, I know it will do little to ease the pain that Johanita’s family and friends continue to suffer – my thoughts remain with them, and the three other victims Nur attacked on 29 April,

“In the days and weeks after Johanita’s murder, my local officers were out talking to residents, business and community groups, hearing their concerns and working on ways we can improve how we serve the people of Lambeth and Southwark. This work will continue, and will only be at its most effective with the support of the people – I would urge anyone who has concerns to get in touch so we can help.”

An investigation was already under way by police after three people had been attacked in and around the Acre Lane area of Brixton on Saturday, 29 April. The attacks took place between 23:25hrs and 23:29hrs. On each occasion Nur walked up to his victim and slashed their cheek with a sharp implement before walking off.

On Monday, 1 May Nur attacked and killed Johanita as she walked in Stockwell Park Walk, SW9.

After Nur was arrested by officers following a stop and search in Brixton Hill in the early hours of Tuesday 2 May, he was interviewed by police about all four offences. He refused to answer any questions put to him by police.

Detectives had already recovered the weapon used in the attack on Johanita after it had been discarded as Nur had fled the scene. Forensic examination revealed traces of Johanita’s blood on it, alongside Nur’s DNA on a piece of fabric used to hold the weapon together.

When Nur was arrested, he was found to be wearing distinctive clothing that matched the suspect captured in CCTV on the night of 29 April attacks, and also the man seen to attack Johanita. Investigating officers trawled numerous hours of CCTV footage to build a timeline of Nur’s movements, demonstrating his behaviours in the lead up to and after the attacks.

DCI Webb continued: “Despite the weight of evidence against him, and even though Nur had admitted to murdering Johanita in similar circumstances, he chose to plead not guilty to the three attacks on 29 April.

“This meant the three victims were forced to relive the horror of their attacks in court. The courage they have shown during this entire process, ensuring Nur was made to face up to the violent acts he carried out is inspiring and I want to thank them for supporting this investigation to its conclusion.”

Nur has been remanded in custody and will be sentenced at the Old Bailey for all offences on Thursday, 23 May.

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest News